- Providing a physical release of tension. Have you ever felt relieved, lighter, less stressed after a good laugh? That’s because your body automatically tenses and releases several muscles, from your abdominals, shoulders, etc. This tension and release allows our bodies to let go of physical tension, which can lead to a release of emotional tension as well.
- Distracting us from the seriousness we can get focused on when we’re feeling stressed. Have you noticed that when you are overwhelmed or stressed you get more serious?
- Connecting us with others. Laughter can be contagious and create an instant bond between strangers, acquaintances, or friends. Studies show that the more connected we feel with others, the better able we are at dealing with stressful situations.
Where will you find some laughter this holiday season?
Photo: laughter © by gagilas
- Laugh Your Way to Stress Relief and Creativity
- Top 12 Ways to Keep Stress at Bay This Holiday Season
- Managing Your Stress During the Holidays and Beyond: Tip #3 – Work It Out